'Christmas Carol' Tops US Weekend B-O
NOV 9, 2009 - Disney's 'A Christmas Carol' topped the US box-office this weekend with an estimated US$31 million. The movie, starring Jim Carrey and directed by Robert Zemeckis, is starting off rather early in the holiday season but the producers hope the film will play long enough to recoup its huge cost, believed to be more than US$200mil (RM680 million).
Meanwhile, Michael Jackson's concert film This Is It slipped to No. 2 in its second week on US$14m for a US$57.9mil gross. On the international front, however, it is still doing great with the running total hitting an estimated US$128.6mil after two weekends.
Paranormal Activity is poised to make US$100mil and ranks fifth on US$8.6mil for a $97.4mil total after seven weeks.
Here is the rest of the Top 5 US B-O estimate grosses for Nov 6-8, 2009 weekend, in terms of rank, Movie name (studio), Weekend takings in USD, (Cumulative gross, USD) and week on chart, courtesy of Boxofficemojo.
1. A Christmas Carol (Buena Vista) $31.0 million ($31.0 million) 1
2. This Is It (Sony / Columbia) $14.0 million ($57.9 million) 2
3. The Men Who Stare at Goats (Overture) $13.3 million ($13.3mil) 1
4. The Fourth Kind (Universal) $12.5 million ($12.5 million) 1
5. Paranormal Activity (Paramount) $8.6 million ($97.4 million) 7