'MJ's This Is It' Tops Weekend B-O Worldwide
OCT 26, 2009 - As predicted, Michael Jackson's This Is It danced its way to the top of the Halloween weekend box-office worldwide, collecting an estimated US$101 million (RM350 million).
This Is It fetched an estimated US$21.3 million in the US over the weekend, grossing US$32.5 million in cumulative box-office since the musical hit cinemas on Wednesday amid overheated expectations of a US$40 million-plus opening through its first five days. With a simultaneous international debut, Sony said it has extended the film's run for three additional weeks in North America and one to three weeks in overseas territories.
Paranormal Activity was second with US$16.5 million while Law Abiding Citizen ranked third with US$7.3 million.
Here is the rest of the Top 5 US B-O estimate grosses for Oct 30-Nov 1, 2009 weekend, in terms of rank, Movie name (studio), Weekend takings in USD, (Cumulative gross, USD) and week on chart, courtesy of Boxofficemojo.
1. Michael Jackson's This Is It (Sony/Columbia) $21.3 million ($32.5 million) 1
2. Paranormal Activity (Paramount) $16.5 million ($84.8 million) 6
3. Law Abiding Citizen (Overture Films) $7.3 million ($51.4 million) 3
4. Couples Retreat (Universal) $6.1 million ($86.7 million) 4
5. Saw VI (Lionsgate) $5.6 million ($22.8 million) 2