Paranormal Activity Moves Up US Weekend B-O
OCT 26, 2009 - Horror film Paranormal Activity trounced the sixth instalment of the Saw franchise, with a pre-Halloween weekend box office draw of US$22 million (RM74.42 million). Paranormal Activity (pictured below) went into wider release after playing to sellout crowds at midnight-only screenings over the past few weekends in a handful of markets determined by online balloting.
Lionsgate’s Saw VI took in a measly US$14.8 million. The horror series features a killer who calls himself Jigsaw and puts his victims in deadly contraptions to torture them. Couples Retreat moves to No. 5 from top position the previous weekend.
Here is the rest of the Top 5 US B-O estimate grosses for Oct 23-25, 2009 weekend, in terms of rank, Movie name (studio), Weekend takings in USD, (Cumulative gross, USD) and week on chart, courtesy of Boxofficemojo.
1. Paranormal Activity (Paramount) $22.0 million ($62.5 million) 5
2. Saw VI (Lionsgate) $14.8 million ($14.8 million) 1
3. Where the Wild Things Are (Warner Bros.) $14.4 million ($54.0 million) 2
4. Law Abiding Citizen (Overture Films) $12.7 million ($40.3 million) 2
5. Couples Retreat (Universal) $11.1 million ($78.2 million) 3