'Wild Things' Tops US Weekend B-O
OCT 19, 2009 - Where the Wild Things Are collected US$32.7 million at approximately 5,000 screens at 3,735 sites, including around US$3.1 million at 145 IMAX sites in North America over the weekend.
Law Abiding Citizen cashed in as the first straight thriller of the season, racking up US$21 million at 3,600 screens at 2,890 sites. The movie, featuring a dueling Gerard Butler and Jamie Foxx, opens in Malaysia this Thursday.
Here is the rest of the Top 5 US B-O estimate grosses for Oct 16-18, 2009 weekend, in terms of rank, Movie name (studio), Weekend takings in USD, (Cumulative gross, USD) and week on chart, courtesy of Boxofficemojo.
1. Where the Wild Things Are (WB) $32.7 million ($32.7 million) 1
2. Law Abiding Citizen (Overture Films) $21.0 million ($21.0 million) 1
3. Paranormal Activity (Paramount) $19.6 million ($33.1 million) 4
4. Couples Retreat (Universal) $17.2 million ($62.6 million) 2
5. The Stepfather (Sony/Screen Gems) $11.6 million ($11.6 million) 1