'Funny People' Tops US Weekend B-O
JULY 27, 2009 - It was a dismal weekend at the US box-office with 'Funny People' collecting just an estimated US$23.4 million. It was reportedly the worst opening for an Adam Sandler film at the North American box-office in almost five years.
This makes it one of the lowest starts for a No. 1 movie since Jim Carrey’s Yes Man launched with US$18.3 million last December. Sandler plays a comedian diagnosed with a fatal blood disease who then tries to break up a marriage.
The Harry Potter sequel, The Half-Blood Prince, came in second but G-Force seemed to have lost power, settling at Number 3. Now, it is looking as if summer is finally over at the cinema - unless G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra can liven things up again.
Here is the rest of the Top 5 US B-O estimated grosses for July 31- Aug 2, 2009 weekend, in terms of rank, Movie name, Weekend takings in USD, (Cumulative gross, USD) and week on chart, courtesy of Boxofficemojo.
1. Funny People $23.4 million ($23.4 million) 1
2. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince $17.7 million ($255.5 million) 3
3. G-Force $17.1 million ($66.5 million) 2
4. The Ugly Truth $13.0 million ($54.5 million) 2
5. Aliens in the Attic $7.8 million ($7.8 million) 1