Harry Potter Charms Worldwide B-O
JULY 20, 2009 - Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince set a new opening record of US$396.7 million (RM1,388 million), a clear sign that the lucrative franchise has lost none of its magic.
The sixth entry in the fantasy franchise earned US$159.7 million in the United States and Canada, the sixth-biggest opening for a five-day period, distributor Warner Bros Pictures said yesterday.
The international component stands at US$237 million from 84 markets, also setting a new record. The old record was held by "Spider-Man 3" in 2007 when its global bow of US$381.7 million included foreign sales of US$230.5 million.
Meanwhile, Boxofficemojo reports that the HR sequel topped the US box office last weekend with an estimated US$79.5 million.
Here is the rest of the Top 5 US B-O estimated grosses for July 17-19, 2009 weekend, in terms of rank, Movie name, Weekend takings in USD, (Cumulative gross, USD) and week on chart.
1. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince $79.5 million ($159.7 million) 1
2. Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs $17.7 million ($152.0 million) 3
3. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen $13.8 million ($363.9 million) 4
4. Bruno $8.4 million ($49.6 million) 2
5. The Hangover $8.3 million ($235.9 million) 7