G-Force Overtakes Harry Potter at US B-O
JULY 27, 2009 - The Harry Potter magic seems to have run out of steam as kiddie flick G-Force topped the US box-office chart last weekend, taking an estimated US$32.2 million against the boy magician's US$30 million.
However, it was generally a sombre weekend (July 24-26) and Boxofficemojo reports that business as a whole was down from last year for the third weekend in a row.
In third place is romantic comedy The Ugly Truth (starring Gerard Butler and Katherine Heigl) doing a decent US$27 million in its first weekend.
Here is the rest of the Top 5 US B-O estimated grosses for July 24-26, 2009 weekend, in terms of rank, Movie name, Weekend takings in USD, (Cumulative gross, USD) and week on chart.
1. G-Force $32.2 million ($32.2 million) 1
2. Harry Potter And the Half-Blood Prince $30 million ($221.8 million) 2
3. The Ugly Truth $27 million ($27.0 million) 1
4. Orphan $12.8 million ($12.8 million) 1
5. Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs $8.2 million ($171.3 million) 4