True Grit Tops US Weekend B-O
JAN 10, 2011 - True Grit galloped to the top spot, ending the reign of Little Fockers over a quiet start to 2011, while new nationwide releases Season of the Witch and Country Strong posted modest results. Overall business was off a precipitous 29 percent from the same weekend last year, when Avatar led.
True Grit collected an estimated US$15 million, cooling 39 percent from New Year's weekend. The Western has racked up a mighty US$110.4 million in 19 days, surpassing the final grosses of Unforgiven and Maverick. In terms of estimated attendance, it topped Brokeback Mountain on Saturday, and it eclipsed Tombstone on Sunday (Unforgiven and Maverick will likely prove insurmountable on this front).
Here are the Top 5 North American B-O studio estimates for Jan 7-9, 2011 weekend, in terms of rank, Movie name (studio), Weekend takings in USD, (Cumulative gross, USD) and week on chart, courtesy of Boxofficemojo.
1. True Grit (Paramount) $15.0 million ($110.4 million) 3
2. Little Fockers (Universal) $13.8 million ($124.0 million) 3
3. Season of the Witch (Relativity) $10.7 million ($10.7 million) 1
4. Tron Legacy (Buena Vista) $9.8 million ($147.9 million) 4
5. Black Swan (Fox Searchlight) $8.4 million ($61.5 million) 6