Expendables Muscle into Top US Weekend B-O
AUGUST 16, 2010 - The Expendables muscled in to the top spot of the North American weekend box-office. Eat Pray Love takes second place, but it was nearly game over for Scott Pilgrim vs. the World.
The Expendables' opening weekend at US$35 million was a bit less than Inglourious Basterds' US$38.1 million last August, but it was greater than The A-Team's US$25.7 million and nearly doubled Rambo's US$18.2 million. It also was the highest-grossing debut of Sylvester Stallone's career, although not in terms of attendance.
Here are the Top 5 North American B-O studio estimates for Aug 13-15, 2010 weekend, in terms of rank, Movie name (studio), Weekend takings in USD, (Cumulative gross, USD) and week on chart, courtesy of Boxofficemojo.
1. The Expendables (Lion's Gate) $35.0 million ($35.0 mil) 1
2. Eat Pray Love (Sony) $23.7 ($23.7 mil) 1
3. The Other Guys (Sony) $18.0 million ($70.5 mil) 2
4. Inception (WB) $11.3 million ($248.5 mil) 5
5. Scott Pilgrim vs The World (Universal) $10.5 million ($10.5 mil) 1