Thursday, August 12, 2010

LOVE IN DISGUISE - Amateurish Debut for LeeHom

LOVE IN DISGUISE (romantic comedy)
Cast: Wang LeeHom, Crystal Liu Yi-Fei, Joan Chen and Chen Han Dian
Director: Wang LeeHom
Screenplay: Chen Hung-chieh and Du Xin Yi
Time: 92 mins
Rating: * 1/2 (out of 4)


Wang LeeHom and Crystal Liu in LOVE IN DISGUISE

PREAMBLE:
Wang LeeHom
should stick to singing, dancing, making records or whatever he does best - but not directing films. I came to this conclusion just 10 minutes into Love In Disguise, a right royal mess of a love story in which he plays a guy almost like himself. Even a veteran film-maker like Joan Chen could do nothing to salvage this wreck of a movie...

WHAT'S IT ABOUT? Heart-throb pop singer Du Ming-Han (who looks a whole lot like Wang LeeHom) lives the lonely existence of the pop star, always in the limelight and under the scrutiny of the media and his legions of fans. His manager Joan Chen (who is Joan Chen) tries to protect him being mobbed but DMH has a habit of disguising himself in his bid to escape from his pursuers.

When his vehicle accidentally knocks into music student (Crystal Liu as Song Xiao Qing), DMH envisions "exotic music and butterflies" and decides that she is his 'soul-mate'. Abetted by his friend and band member Wei Zhi Bo (Chen Han Dian), the duo
masquerade as country bumpkins (what were they thinking?) and enrol at the Far East Music Academy where Xiao Qing is learning Chinese traditional music.

HITS & MISSES: Talking about disguises, it would take a complete idiot not to see through the silly wig and spectacles that DMH wears to play the rural student. And how else do I loathe this flick? Let me count the ways:
(i) The acting, as directed by Wang, is way below normal Taiwan/Hong Kong comedy standards. Everyone in the cast seems to be hamming it up, including Ms Joan Chen herself, and some even raised my goose-pimples!
(ii) The plot, script and dialogue suck big time. This kind of love story has been told throughout the history of moving pictures and here no one bothered to tweak it up a bit.
(iii) Throughout the film, we get the feel of an amateurish effort - almost like putting up a school musical.
(iv) I can go on but that would be overkill.

On the plus side, we have some agreeable music written by Wang himself. For such mercies, I am indeed thankful.

THE LOWDOWN: Only for diehard LeeHom fans.

12 Comments:

At 11:03 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

your review sucks big time :D

 
At 8:46 pm, Blogger Lim Chang Moh said...

Thank you. Coming from someone like you, it makes my day.

 
At 5:41 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you one of Leehom's haters, I wonder? It's either you hate Leehom or you hate romantic comedy movie. I think it's because you hate romcom movie, from your picture, you seem to be way too old to like or dislike Leehom.

Anyway, I browsed your blog and noticed that you didn't do many romcom reviews, meaning you didn't go watch them. So, you maybe live in a miserable lonely cold life that you can't enjoy romcom... that's too bad. I feel sorry for you ...

 
At 9:16 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many other critics didn't think this movie is as bad as what you have described. So yeaa, I think you don't like romcom movie. Please try to be fair even if you don't like it.

 
At 10:33 pm, Blogger Lim Chang Moh said...

Dear Anon,
On the contrary, I have always liked LeeHom, especially his songs and dancing. I liked him in Little Big Soldier too. It is this movie that I did not like. Have you seen it? If you have and you liked it, then congrats to you. You saw something that I didn't.

And if you have researched enough, you would know that some of my favourite movies were rom-coms like As Good As It Gets, Something's Gotta Give, It's Complicated, Echoes Of The Rainbow (HK drama) to name a few. Anyway, thanks for your comments. I appreciate it.

 
At 12:20 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you like his music, you know that this movie didn't deserve rating 1/2 of 4. You should take it back your rating in IMDB.

I haven't got a chance to watch coz I live in a country where the movie is not showing in local theater. But I read some reviews. Even they dont really like the movie, their review is still fair. But yours ... ck ck ck.. you really sound like someone who hated Leehom. Was there really none to appreciate in the movie? If you like his music, you know that the movie didn't deserve rating 1/2 of 4. How come you give 2 stars to "suck" movie like Vampire Sucks while only 1/2 for a movie with music that you said you like? I just dont get it

 
At 12:28 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

isn't that to publish a good review is to review the whole movie as a complete package? If you like the music, then I really don't think it's fair to give 1/2 of 4.

 
At 11:04 pm, Blogger Lim Chang Moh said...

Dear Anonymous,

You claim I gave the movie 1/2 star out of 4? Pse check closely and you will see that I gave One and a half stars.

Yes, I like the music but I am not doing a concert review. I am doing a movie review and I didn't like the movie!

Please note that writing reviews is NOT trying to get a consensus. Just because other critics liked the movie does not mean that I have to like it too. This is what movie reviewing is about.

You HAVE NOT SEEN the movie yet and you said my review sucks big time? And YOU are the one talking about fairness! What type of rectal spinchter did you emerge from?

 
At 6:01 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The first comment was not me, but I think I have to agree with him or her or whoever. Coz yeaaa.... I dont think you gave fair rating for Love in Disguise. And you may go check again that it was 1/2 star out of 4. I know you dont have to like the movie but giving a movie 1/2 star is like insulting somebody's else work, which I'm pretty sure you can only comment, but can't make a movie yourself.

 
At 6:07 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the music is part of the movie, how can you ever say that you're doing a movie review but put aside the music??? if you do review, you have to review it as a whole package. You can't review the cast only, or the plot only or the music only. Having the response like that from somebody as senior as you, made me think that I'd really have to agree with no 1 comment.

 
At 3:05 am, Blogger m-l said...

I have not watched the movie yet but am thinking of catching up with some of Lee Hom's work.. so yes, that's how I ended up here. It is funny to read comments that slam on your review just because of you've got a different set of opinions, well, from Lee Hom's strong fan girls, I assume. I find your points totally valid (I'm still gonna watch that movie) because I can easily relate these to many other Asian romcom flicks.

I'm not the slightest bit of being Lee Hom's hater nor am I an expert in filming, but what I do know what makes a movie truly awesome is that it has something original with solid screenplay - may it be the effect or humour, not simply because they have stunning actors.

No doubt, we are easily swayed and clouded by emotions when it comes to judgment..... hm I guess I have some examples for my psychology homework! Hitting two birds with a stone in this blog! Booyeah!

Anyway, good review! And Real Steel is awesssooooommmmeeeee!! Now compare that with this flick! Bet 1.5 star would completely justify.

 
At 9:35 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just saw this review.. I'm a big Leehom fan. I've liked him for many, many years. I buy all his albums, watch his concerts, even saw this movie three times.

When this movie came out two years ago, I tried to convince myself this movie is good. I know Leehom put in a lot of effort into making this movie. But the only thing I enjoyed about this movie is his music. Maybe it's because my expectations of Leehom is too high.

I wish Leehom would making stupid movies like this that's catering more to the China market.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home