'Dragon' Outflies 'Kick-Ass' at US B-O
APRIL 19, 2010 - Kick-Ass didn't kick the US Box-Office ass as expected. It didn't bust out of its unpopular superhero comedy confines nor did it match its hype. Nonetheless delivered one of the highest-grossing starts ever for its sub-genre but that wasn't enough to lead a weekend that saw How to Train Your Dragon spreading its wings further.
Also opening nationwide, Death at a Funeral had a decent gathering of an estimated US$17 million on around 3,000 screens at 2,459 venues.
Here is the Top 5 North American B-O estimates for April 16 - 18, 2010 weekend, in terms of rank, Movie name (studio), Weekend takings in USD, (Cumulative gross, USD) and week on chart, courtesy of Boxofficemojo.
1. How to Train Your Dragon (DreamWorks) $20.0 million ($158.6 million) 4
2. Kick-Ass (Lionsgate) $19.7 million ($19.7 million) 1
3. Date Night (Fox) $17.3 million ($49.2 million) 2
4. Death at A Funeral (Sony) $17.0 million ($17 mil) 1
5. Clash Of The Titans (Buena Vista) $15.7 million ($132.9 million) 3