'Avatar' Now the Second Worldwide Top-Grosser
JAN 11, 2010 - Avatar again defended its turf against competitors on its fourth weekend in North America, taking in an estimated US$48.5 million for a total of US$429 million. Worldwide, Avatar grossed a whopping US$1.3 billion as of Sunday January 10 - making it the No 2 top-grosser of all time, behind Titanic.
Yes, this means that James Cameron has made the Number One and Two Top-Grossing movies of all time. In Malaysia, the movie collected US$5.5 million (or RM18.7 million) as of January 10.
The new vampire film, The Daybreakers, came in fourth place with a decent US$15 million, while Sherlock Holmes and the Chipmunks Squeakquel maintain their last week's positions.
Here is the Top 5 North American B-O actual grosses for Jan 8 - 10, 2010 weekend, in terms of rank, Movie name (studio), Weekend takings in USD, (Cumulative gross, USD) and week on chart, courtesy of Boxofficemojo.
1. Avatar (Fox) $48.5 million ($429.0 million) 4
2. Sherlock Holmes (Warner Bros) $16.6 million ($165.2 million) 3
3. Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel (Fox) $16.3 million ($178.2 million) 3
4. Daybreakers (Lionsgate) $15.0 million ($15.0 million) 1
5. It's Complicated (Universal) $11.0 million ($76.4 million) 3
If you are wondering which are the All-Time Worldwide Top-Grossers, click here.