'Avatar' Tops US Weekend B-O Again
JAN 4, 2010 - Avatar grossed more than US$1.2 billion (RM3.4 billion) at the worldwide box office after three weekends, making it the fourth-biggest movie of all time. The only movies ahead of it are James Cameron’s (US$1.8 billion), (US$1.12 billion), and TitanicThe Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King and Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest (US$1.07 billion).
It again continued to dominate the box-office grossing US$68.4 million in its third weekend in North America.
With no new movie opening over the New Year weekend in the US, the Top Four films of the Christmas weekend remained the same - with The Blind Side taking over the No. 5 spot from Up In The Air.
Here is the Top 5 North American B-O actual grosses for Jan 1 - 3, 2010 weekend, in terms of rank, Movie name (studio), Weekend takings in USD, (Cumulative gross, USD) and week on chart, courtesy of Boxofficemojo.
1. Avatar (Fox) $68.4 million ($352.1 million) 3
2. Sherlock Holmes (Warner Bros) $36.6 million ($138.7 million) 2
3. Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel (Fox) $35.1 million ($155.9 million) 2
4. It's Complicated (Universal) $18.8 million ($59.1 million) 1
5. The Blind Side (WB) $11.9 million ($208.4 million) 7