'Avatar' Amassed US$623m Worldwide
DEC 28, 2009 - Avatar continued to dominate the box-office worldwide grossing US$623 million (RM2 billion) in its second weekend and propelling Fox International’s annual box-office to an industry-high US$2.263-billion with four days to go, overtaking Warner Bros’ US$2.24-billion record from 2007.
James Cameron's sci-fi epic grossed a stunning US$152 million overseas in its second weekend boosting the running total to US$405mil after 12 days in release. Combined with the US$212.3mil North American take, Avatar has amassed US$623.6mil worldwide.
In Malaysia, Avatar overtook Titanic to become the highest Fox release in history at RM10.8 million (US$3.19mil).
Here is the Top 5 North American B-O estimate grosses for Dec 25-27, 2009 weekend, in terms of rank, Movie name (studio), Weekend takings in USD, (Cumulative gross, USD) and week on chart, courtesy of Boxofficemojo.
1. Avatar (Fox) $75.6 million ($212.3 million) 2
2. Sherlock Holmes (Warner Bros) $62.4 million ($62.4 million) 1
3. Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel (Fox) $48.9 million ($75.1 million) 1
4. It's Complicated (Universal) $22.1 million ($22.1 million) 1
5. Up in the Air (Paramount) $11.2 million ($24.0 million) 4