'New Moon' Still Tops at Second US Weekend
NOV 30, 2009 - Moviegoers continued feasting on vampire love as Twilight Saga: New Moon remained at No. 1 while Sandra Bullock's The Blind Side held steady in second place with just US$2.4 million separating the two. That was a far cry from the US$108.7M gap between the pair last weekend when they both opened as New Moon tumbled and Blind Side rose this Thanksgiving weekend.
Last year's Twilight also suffered a steep second weekend decline falling 62 per cent. The disaster film 2012 is third as no new release managed to make it into the top three.
Disney comedy Old Dogs, starring John Travolta and Robin Williams, takes fourth place with an estimated US$16.8M over three days. Newcomer Ninja Assassin takes No. 6 place with an estimated US$13.1 million.
Here is the rest of the Top 5 US B-O estimate grosses for Nov 27-29, 2009 weekend, in terms of rank, Movie name (studio), Weekend takings in USD, (Cumulative gross, USD) and week on chart, courtesy of Boxofficemojo.
1. Twilight Saga: New Moon (Summit) $42.5 million ($230.7 mil) 2
2. The Blind Side (Warner Bros) $40.1 million ($100.3 mil) 2
3. 2012 (Sony/Columbia) $18.0 million ($138.8 mil) 3
4. Old Dogs (Buena Vista) $16.8 million ($24.1 mil) 1
5. A Christmas Carol (Buena Vista) $16.0 million ($105.4 million) 4