'New Moon' Goes Over The Moon at US B-O
NOV 23, 2009 - The Twilight Saga: New Moon scored the third biggest opening weekend of all time at the North American box office last weekend. It earned an estimated US$140.7 million (RM474.93 million) during its first three days of release across the United States and Canada.
The record for an opening weekend is US$158 million set last year by 'The Dark Knight'. The 2007 'Spider-Man 3' follows with US$151 million. New Moon replaced 'Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest' (US$136 million) at No. 3.
Disaster movie '2012', fell to No. 3 with US$26.5 million taking its 10-day haul to US$108.2 million.
Here is the rest of the Top 5 US B-O estimate grosses for Nov 20-22, 2009 weekend, in terms of rank, Movie name (studio), Weekend takings in USD, (Cumulative gross, USD) and week on chart, courtesy of Boxofficemojo.
1. New Moon (Summit) $140.7 million ($140.7 million) 1
2. The Blind Side (Warner Bros.) $34.5 million ($34.5 million) 1
3. 2012 (Sony/Columbia) $26.5 million ($108.2 million) 2
4. Planet 51 (Sony/Columbia) $12.6 million ($12.6 million) 1
5. A Christmas Carol (Buena Vista) $12.2 million ($79.8 million) 3