Zombieland Tops US Weekend B-O
OCT 5, 2009 - Zombieland shook US cinemas with weekend ticket sales of US$25 million (RM86 million), according to studio estimates issued yesterday. The movie gave its star, Woody Harrelson, the biggest opening of his career at the North American box-office.
The comedy ended the two-week reign of Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, which slipped to No. 2 with US$16.7 million. Both films were released by Columbia Pictures, a unit of Sony Corp.
A 3-D reissue of the Pixar cartoons, Toy Story and Toy Story 2, opened at No. 3 with US$12.5 million. The release was designed to work up interest of the June 2010 arrival of Toy Story 3.
Here is the rest of the Top 5 US B-O estimate grosses for Oct 2-4, 2009 weekend, in terms of rank, Movie name, Weekend takings in USD, (Cumulative gross, USD) and week on chart, courtesy of Boxofficemojo.
1. Zombieland $25.0 million ($25.0 million) 1
2. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs $16.7 million ($82.4 million) 3
3. Toy Story / Toy Story 2 (3D) $12.5 million ($12.5 million) 1
4. The Invention of Lying $7.4 million ($7.4 million) 1
5. Surrogates $7.3 million ($26.4 million) 2
(Studio estimated figures courtesy of Boxofficemojo.com).