Spider-Man Tops But Falls Short of Expectations
Meanwhile, Ted continued to play well, Savages got off to a decent start, and Katy Perry: Part of Me disappointed. The Top 12 earned an estimated US$187.1 million this weekend, which is up 28 percent from the same frame last year.
The Spider-Man reboot earned an estimated US$65 million for the three-day weekend. Adding in its previous three days of grosses, the new version of the webslinger's story had a US$140 million six-day opening. Over the identical six-day period in 2007, Transformers earned US$155.4 million.
Here are the Top 5 North American B-O studio estimates for July 6-8, 2012 weekend, in terms of rank, (previous week ranking), Movie name (studio), Weekend takings in USD, (Cumulative gross, USD) and week on chart, courtesy of Boxofficemojo. (US$1=RM3.11)
1. (-) The Amazing Spider-Man (Sony) $65.0 million ($140.0 million) 1
2. (1) Ted (Uni.) $32.5 million ($120.2 million) 2
3. (3) Brave (BV) $20.1 million ($174.5 million) 3
4. (-) Savages (Uni.) $16.1 million ($16.1 million) 1
5. (2) Magic Mike (WB) $15.6 million ($72.7 million) 2