Madagascar 3 Holds on to Top Spot
The latest projects from box office heavyweights Tom Cruise and Adam Sandler both bombed hard in the US over the weekend, which allowed Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted to easily hold on to the top spot. Prometheus remained in second as well, although it took a big hit in its sophomore outing, and the Top 12 wound up down 15 percent from the same frame last year.
Madagascar 3 dipped 41 per cent to an estimated US$35.5 million this weekend. That's a strong hold for an animated sequel: in comparison, Cars 2 fell 60 percent, Toy Story 3 dipped 46 percent, and Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa fell 44.5 per cent. The movie remains ahead of both of its predecessors with a 10-day total of $120.45 million.
Here are the Top 5 North American B-O studio estimates for June 15-17, 2012 weekend, in terms of rank, (previous week ranking), Movie name (studio), eekend takings in USD, (Cumulative gross, USD) and week on chart, courtesy of Boxofficemojo. (US$1=RM3.1)
1. (1) Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted (Pixar/DW) $35.5 million ($120.4 million) 2
2. (2) Prometheus (Fox) $20.2 million ($88.8 million) 2
3. (-) Rock of Ages (WB) $15.0 million ($15.0 million) 1
4. (3) Snow White and the Huntsman (Uni.) $13.8 million ($122.6 million) 3
5. (-) That's My Boy (Sony) $13.million ($13.million) 1