'Hunger Games' Breaks Midnight Opening Record
MARCH 24, 2012 - Movie website IMDb has announced that The Hunger Games is the Number One non-sequel midnight opening in history. The film now ranks as the Seventh highest-grossing midnight opening of all time, earning US$19.7 million.
The Hunger Games is currently the #1 title on IMDb’s MOVIEmeter chart and is the most viewed title of the year thus far on IMDb. Since January 1, 2012 The Hunger Games has generated more page views than any other title on IMDb.
* During the 30 day period leading up to its release, page views were double those that The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 1 garnered in the same pre-opening window and 78% higher than Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2.
* Fan interest also extends to the top billed cast. Jennifer Lawrence (#1), Josh Hutcherson (#2), and Liam Hemsworth (#5) all currently rank among the top 5 most popular actors on IMDb, as determined by page views. Apparently IMDb fans are “Team Peeta” as evidenced by Hutcherson outranking Hemsworth on the IMDb STARmeter chart.
* IMDb has launched a comprehensive and interactive The Hunger Games special section at http://www.imdb.com/hungergames/ and featuring cast interviews, photo galleries, trailers, local movie showtimes and tickets, cast and crew information, cast rankings and more.
|Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen|
The Top 10 Midnight Openings of All Time (in USD) *
1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 - $43.5 million
2. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 - $30.3 million
3. The Twilight Saga: Eclipse - $30.1 million
4. The Twilight Saga: New Moon - $26.3 million
5. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 - $24 million
6. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - $22.2 million
7. The Hunger Games - $19.7 million
8. The Dark Knight - $18.5 million
9. Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith - $16.5 million
10. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - $16 million
* Source: IMDb, the #1 movie website in the world