'Safe House' Slides To The Top
Journey 2 had a great hold in fourth, while This Means War opened decently in fifth. The Top 12 earned an estimated $144 million, which is an 11 per cent improvement from the same weekend last year.
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance flamed out this weekend with a meek US$22 million start at 3,174 locations (2,352 of which showed the movie in 3D). That opening is less than half the three-day start of the original Ghost Rider on the same weekend in 2007 (US$45.4 million), which is a nearly unprecedented drop for a sequel.
Here are the Top 5 North American B-O studio estimates for Feb 10-12, 2012 weekend, in terms of rank, (previous week ranking), Movie name (studio), Weekend takings in USD, (Cumulative gross, USD) and week on chart, courtesy of Boxofficemojo. (US$1=RM3)
1. (2) Safe House (Uni.) $24.0 million ($78.3 million) 2
2. (1) The Vow (S.Gem) $23.6 million ($85.5 million) 2
3. (-) Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (Sony) $22.0 million ($22.0 million) 1
4. (3) Journey 2: The Mysterious Island (WB) $20.0 million ($53.2 million) 2
5. (-) This Means War (Fox) $17.5 million ($19.1 million) 1