'Puss In Boots' Fights off Tower Heist at US Weekend B-O
NOV 7, 2011 - Puss in Boots easily fought off competition for the second straight weekend. Openers Tower Heist and A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas both came in on the low end of expectations, although neither was an outright disappointment. Overall box office was down at least 20 percent from the same frame last year, when Megamind and Due Date opened to US$46 million and US$32.7 million, respectively.
Puss in Boots eased just three percent to US$33.04 million in its second weekend while Paranormal Activity 3 fell 53 percent to an estimated US$8.53 million in its third weekend. Tower Heist debuted to an estimated $25.1 million from 3,367 locations. That's a bit off from other Ben Stiller comedies like Meet the Parents ($28.6 million), Starsky and Hutch ($28.1 million), Along Came Polly ($27.7 million), and Tropic Thunder ($25.8 million).
Here are the Top 5 North American B-O studio estimates for Nov 4-6, 2011 weekend, in terms of rank, (previous week ranking), Movie name (studio), Weekend takings in USD, (Cumulative gross, USD) and week on chart, courtesy of Boxofficemojo. (US$1=RM3)
1. (1) Puss in Boots (Paramount) $33.0 million ($75.5 million) 2
2. (-) Tower Heist (UIP) $25.1 million ($25,1 million) 1
3. (-) A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas (WB) $13.0 million ($13.0 million) 1
4. (2) Paranormal Activity 3 (Paramount) $8.5 million ($95.3 million) 3
5. (3) In Time (Fox) $7.7 million ($24,.2 million) 2