'Puss In Boots' Walks All Over US Weekend B-O
World Series and Bad Weather Affect US B-O
OCT 31, 2011 - Animated comedy Puss in Boots debuted at Number One over the US pre-Halloween period while other new releases failed to generate much excitement. The overall marketplace got hit hard by a double whammy of game seven of the World Series last Friday which attracted over 25 million viewers followed by a powerful winter storm hitting the highly populated north-east region of the country on Saturday, affecting tens of millions of people with unusually early snowfalls.
Paranormal Activity 3 drops to No. 2 with an estimated US$18.5 million, while Justin Timberlake's sci-fi thriller In Time opened in third place with a mediocre estimated US$12 million.
Studio estimates may change significantly later today depending on how much lost business gets picked up on Sunday. Films with better word-of-mouth may also grab some of that lost cash in the weeks ahead if good buzz can spread.
Here are the Top 5 North American B-O studio estimates for Oct 28-30, 2011 weekend, in terms of rank, (previous week ranking), Movie name (studio), Weekend takings in USD, (Cumulative gross, USD) and week on chart, courtesy of Boxofficemojo. (US$1=RM3)
1. (-) Puss in Boots (Paramount) $34.0 million ($34.0 million) 1
2. (1) Paranormal Activity 3 (Paramount) $18.5 million ($81.3 million) 2
3. (-) In Time (Fox) $12.0 million ($12.0 million) 1
4. (3) Footloose (Paramount) $5.4 million ($38.4 million) 3
5. (-) The Rum Diary (FilmDistrict) $5.0 million ($5.0 million) 1