'Rango' Is Top Draw at US Weekend B-O
MARCH 7, 2011 - Rango put up quite a draw over the weekend, and The Adjustment Bureau was no slouch either. While overall weekend business was off 32 percent from last year's Alice in Wonderland madness, it was up from the comparable weekends in 2009 and 2008.
Rango lassoed an estimated US$38 million on approximately 5,200 screens at 3,917 locations. Though it grossed less than a third of Johnny Depp's Alice in Wonderland, it exceeded Depp's previous voice-only role, Tim Burton's Corpse Bride (US$19.1 million). The Adjustment Bureau was second with an estimated US$20.9 million on nearly 3,200 screens at 2,840 locations. Its start was close to Unknown's last month, and it was a big improvement over Matt Damon's last vehicle Hereafter (US$12 million).
Here are the Top 5 North American B-O studio estimates for March 4 - 6, 2011 weekend, in terms of rank, Movie name (studio), Weekend takings in USD, (Cumulative gross, USD) and week on chart, courtesy of Boxofficemojo. (US$1=RM3)
1. Rango (Paramount) $38.0 million ($38.0 million) 1
2. The Adjustment Bureau (Universal) $20.9 million ($20.9 million) 1
3. Beastly (CBS) $10.1 million ($10.1 million) 1
4. Hall Pass (WB) $9.0 million ($27.0 million) 2
5. Gnomeo and Juliet (BV) $6.9 million ($83.6 million) 4