'Unknown' Tops US Weekend B-O
FEB 21, 2011 - Promoted as Liam Neeson's follow-up to the popular Taken, Unknown grossed an estimated US$21.8 million in North American cineplexes over the weekend. Unknown has Neeson as a man who must reclaim his identity after finding it stolen when he awakens from a coma.
Number Four is Number 2 on the chart, despite its huge marketing blitz. The wannabe franchise starter is disappointing and could land lower when actual numbers come in. Gnomeo and Juliet, however, was still in the hunt. Overall business was down 29 percent from last Presidents' Day weekend.
Here are the Top 5 North American B-O studio estimates for Feb 18 - 20, 2011 weekend, in terms of rank, Movie name (studio), Weekend takings in USD, (Cumulative gross, USD) and week on chart, courtesy of Boxofficemojo.
1. Unknown (Warner Bros) $21.7 million ($21.7 million) 1
2. I Am Number Four (BV) $19.5 million ($19.5 million) 1
3. Gnomeo and Juliet (BV) $19.4 million ($50.4 million) 2
4. Just Go With It (Sony) $18.2 million ($60.7 million) 2
5. Big Mommas: Like Father, Like Son (Fox) $17.0 million ($17.0 million) 1