'Little Fockers' Tops US Christmas Weekend
DEC 27, 2010 - Meet The Parents: Little Fockers bagged an estimated US$34 million on approximately 5,000 screens at 3,536 locations, bringing its five-day opening to an estimated US$48.3 million. By comparison, Meet the Fockers made US$46.1 million on the same weekend in 2004 for a five-day start of US$70.5 million, and it had close to double the attendance.
True Grit posted the top-grossing opening weekend ever for a straight-shooting Western, capturing an estimated US$25.6 million on around 3,900 screens at 3,047 locations. It was also the biggest launch of the Coen brothers' careers, passing Burn After Reading. With a US$36.8 million tally in five days, it's already the highest-grossing Western since 3:10 to Yuma (2007).
Gulliver's Travels was the other new nationwide release for Christmas, and it opened on Saturday, ranking 7th with an estimated US$7.2 million in two days at 2,546 locations.
Here are the Top 5 North American B-O studio estimates for Dec 24-26, 2010 weekend, in terms of rank, Movie name (studio), Weekend takings in USD, (Cumulative gross, USD) and week on chart, courtesy of Boxofficemojo.
1. Little Fockers (Universal) $34.0 million ($48.3 million) 1
2. True Grit (Paramount) $25.6 million ($36.8 million) 1
3. Tron Legacy (Buena Vista) $20.1 million ($88.3 million) 2
4. Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Fox) $10.8 million ($63.9 million) 3
5. Yogi Bear (Warner Bros.) $8.8 million ($36.8 million) 2