Tron: Legacy Tops US Weekend B-O
DEC 20, 2010 - Expectedly, Tron: Legacy topped the weekend North American box-office, given its huge promo machinery. Tron Legacy raked in US$44 million on approximately 5,600 screens at 3,451 locations, more than doubling the opening weekend gross of Speed Racer and posting initial attendance comparable to past December release, The Day the Earth Stood Still (2008).
Yogi Bear wasn't better than your average talking-animal movie, snaring US$16.4 million on close to 4,900 screens at 3,515 locations. That was a fraction of what the first Alvin and the Chipmunks earned on the same weekend in 2007.
Here are the Top 5 North American B-O studio estimates for Dec 17-19, 2010 weekend, in terms of rank, Movie name (studio), Weekend takings in USD, (Cumulative gross, USD) and week on chart, courtesy of Boxofficemojo.
1. Tron Legacy (Buena Vista) $43.6 million($43.6 million) 1
2. Yogi Bear (Warner Bros.) $16.7 million ($16.7 million) 1
3. Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Fox) $12.4 million ($42.8 million) 2
4. The Fighter (Paramount) $12.2 million ($12.6 million) 2
5. The Tourist (Sony / Columbia) $8.7 million ($30.8 million) 2
NB. Sorry about the delay for this post. I am now blogging from Indiana, USA.