Jackass 3D Tops US Weekend B-O
OCT 11, 2010 - Jackass 3-D topped the weekend box-office, boasting the biggest-grossing opening weekend that a fall (Sept-Oct) movie has ever seen. It more than doubled the debut of the solid Red. The holdovers were unphased by Jackass's bluster, contributing to a busy weekend by mid-October standards.
Storming approximately 4,600 screens at 3,081 locations, Jackass 3-D raked in an estimated US$50 million, exceeding Scary Movie 3's US$48.1 million for the Fall opening record. It also blew away the debuts of the previous Jackass movies: the first one took in US$22.8 million at 2,509 sites, while Jackass: Number Two pulled in US$29 million at 3,059 sites.
Here are the Top 5 North American B-O studio estimates for Oct 15-17, 2010 weekend, in terms of rank, Movie name (studio), Weekend takings in USD, (Cumulative gross, USD) and week on chart, courtesy of Boxofficemojo.
1. Jackass 3-D (Paramount) $50.0 million ($50.0 million) 1
2. Red (Summit) $22.5 million ($22.5 million) 1
3. The Social Network (Sony / Columbia) $11.0 million ($63.1 million) 3
4. Secretariat (Buena Vista) $9.5 million ($27.5 million) 2
5. Life as We Know It (Warner Bros.) $9.2 million ($28.9 million) 2