'Social Network' Leads Weekend US B-O Again
OCT 11, 2010 - Facebook drama, The Social Network, lead the US box office again over the weekend, while new releases Life as We Know It and Secretariat had decent starts and My Soul to Take didn't take. Overall business was off 15 percent from the same weekend last year when Couples Retreat opened.
Boasting the smallest percentage second weekend decline of any No. 1 movie this year, The Social Network pulled in an estimated US$15.5 million, increasing its sum to US$46.1 million in 10 days. Its 31 percent dip was also the lowest of the weekend among nationwide holdovers, and it held better than 21 among past similar titles, though that picture still had better attendance.
Here are the Top 5 North American B-O studio estimates for Oct 8-10, 2010 weekend, in terms of rank, Movie name (studio), Weekend takings in USD, (Cumulative gross, USD) and week on chart, courtesy of Boxofficemojo.
1. The Social Network (Sony/Columbia) $15.5 million ($46.0 mil) 2
2. Life As We Know It (WB) $14.6 million ($14.6 mil) 1
3. Secretariat (BV) $12.6 million ($12.6 mil) 1
4. Legend of the Guardians: Owls of Ga'Hoole (WB) $7.0 million ($39.4 mil) 3
5. My Soul To Take (Universal) $6.9 million ($6.9 mil) 1