'Dragon' Flies To Top Spot of US B-O
MARCH 29, 2010 - How To Train Your Dragon flew into the top spot ending the three-week reign of Alice in Wonderland which still managed to be strong enough to finish in second place. Produced by DreamWorks Animation, Dragon opened to an estimated US$43.3 million from 4,055 theatres for a sizzling US$10,678 average per location.
Raunchy comedy Hot Tub Time Machine soaked in third place with an opening weekend take of US$13.7 million, according to estimates.
Here is the Top 5 North American B-O studio estimates for March 26-28, 2010 weekend, in terms of rank, Movie name (studio), Weekend takings in USD, (Cumulative gross, USD) and week on chart, courtesy of Boxofficemojo.
1. How to Train Your Dragon (DreamWorks) $43.3 million ($43.3 mil) 1
2. Alice in Wonderland (Buena Vista) $17.3 million ($293.1 mil) 4
3. Hot Tub Time Machine (MGM) $13.7 million ($13.7 mil) 1
4. The Bounty Hunter (Sony / Columbia) $12.4 million ($38.8 mil) 2
5. Diary of a Wimpy Kid (Fox) $10.0 million ($35.8 mil) 2