Valentine's Day Tops US President Day Weekend
FEB 16, 2010 - Valentine's Day led to the biggest Presidents' Day weekend, not to mention the highest-grossing February (4-day) weekend ever. Overall Friday-to-Monday business came in at close to US$250 million, up over 10 percent from the same holiday time frame last year, which was the previous Presidents' benchmark.
Also contributing to the bustling weekend were sizeable samplings for Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief and The Wolfman and the continued strength of Avatar.
Here is the Top 5 North American B-O studio estimates for Feb 12-15, 2010 weekend, in terms of rank, Movie name (studio), Weekend takings in USD, (Cumulative gross, USD) and week on chart, courtesy of Boxofficemojo.
1. Valentine's Day (WB) $66.8 million ($66.8 million) 1
2. Percy Jackson... (Fox) $38.7 million ($38.7 million) 1
3. The Wolfman (Universal) $36.4 million ($36.4 million) 1
4. Avatar (Fox) $30.0 million ($667.6 million) 9
5. Dear John (SGem) $18.8 million ($56.6 million) 2