Avatar Tops Seventh Weekend
Feb 1, 2010 - Avatar is already the top grosser overseas and worldwide, but it widened its lead with another mammoth week and crossed the US$2 billion worldwide (North America plus foreign) threshold in the process.
Its foreign weekend came to US$95.3 million, down a mere 12 percent, which lifted its total to US$1.447 billion. Italy was its top market of the weekend with US$11 million (US$55.8 million total second only to Titanic), followed by China at US$10.9 million ($127.6 million total), and the movie plowed past the US$100 million milestone in Germany, the United Kingdom and Russia.
Here is the Top 5 North American B-O studio estimates for Jan 29 - 31, 2010 weekend, in terms of rank, Movie name (studio), Weekend takings in USD, (Cumulative gross, USD) and week on chart, courtesy of Boxofficemojo.
1. Avatar (Fox) $31.2 million ($595.7 million) 7
2. Edge of Darkness (WB) $17.2 million ($17.2 million) 1
3. When In ROme (BV) $12.3 million ($12.3 mil) 1
4. The Tooth Fairy (Fox) $10.0 million ($26.1 million) 2
5. The Book of Eli (WB) $8.9 million ($74.5 million) 3