'Princess And The Frog' Leaps to Top of US Weekend B-O
DEC 14, 2009 - After expanding to more screens nationwide over the weekend, The Princess and the Frog leaps to the top of the US Box-office chart, doing an astounding estimated US$25 million in its third weekend.
The Blind Side, meanwhile, is still strong in its fourth weekend, collecting an estimated US$15.5 million ahead of new release Invictus, Clint Eastwood's latest Oscar contender with Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon. Freeman plays Nelson Mandela circa 1995 in the film directed by Eastwood.
On the home front, Storm Warriors is expectedly making waves at the Malaysian Box-office while moviegoers await the opening of James Cameron's Avatar on Dec 17. Advance tickets for the epic adventure are on sale now.
On a personal note, I am now blogging from Bloomington, Indiana, USA, while on vacation till Feb 5, 2010. Please stay in touch.
Here is the rest of the Top 5 US B-O estimate grosses for Dec 11-13, 2009 weekend, in terms of rank, Movie name (studio), Weekend takings in USD, (Cumulative gross, USD) and week on chart, courtesy of Boxofficemojo.
1. The Princess and the Frog (Buena Vista) $25 million ($27.9 mil) 3
2. The Blind Side (Warner Bros) $15.5 million ($150.2 mil) 4
3. Invictus (Warner Bros) $9.1 million ($9.1 mil) 1
4. Twilight Saga: New Moon (Summit) $8.0 million ($267.4 mil) 4
5. A Christmas Carol (Buena Vista) $6.9 million ($124.5 mil) 6