'Hunger Games' Still Tops on 3rd Weekend
The Top 12 earned an estimated US$117 million this weekend, which is up 14 percent from the same period last year but off a bit from Easter 2011 (which was later in the month).
The Hunger Games dropped 43 percent to an estimated US$33.5 million. That's the seventh-highest second weekend of all-time, and it's the best since Alice in Wonderland in March 2010. American Reunion took second place with an estimated US$21.5 million from 3,192 locations. That's much lower than the opening weekend for American Pie 2 (US$45.1 million) and American Wedding (US$33.4 million), and it's even noticeably off from the original American Pie in estimated attendance.
Here are the Top 5 North American B-O studio estimates for April 6-8, 2012 weekend, in terms of rank, (previous week ranking), Movie name (studio), Weekend takings in USD, (Cumulative gross, USD) and week on chart, courtesy of Boxofficemojo. (US$1=RM3)
1. (1) The Hunger Games (LGF) $33.5 million ($302.8 million) 3
2. (-) American Reunion (Universal) $21.5 million ($21.5 million) 1
3. (-) Titanic 3D (Paramount) $17.3 million) $25.7 million) 1
4. (2) Wrath of the Titans (WB) $15.0 million ($58.9 million) 2
5. (3) Mirror Mirror (Relativity) $11.0 million ($36.4 million) 2