Hangover 2 Tops US Weekend B-O
MAY 30, 2011 - The Hangover Part 2 devoured an estimated US$86.5 million over the weekend. Add in its raucous Thursday start, and the comedy sequel's four-day opening came to $118.1 million. Kung Fu Panda 2, on the other hand, fell short of its predecessor, while Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides sprang another leak.
Playing on approximately 6,700 screens at 3,615 locations, Hangover 2 delivered the top-grossing weekend ever for a live-action comedy, and it ranked second to The Matrix Reloaded among R-rated movies. For 2011, it had the second-biggest weekend so far, edging out Fast Five and shy of On Stranger Tides, but it likely would have been first if it hadn't burnt off some demand with its Thursday opening, which was also its top day (US$31.6 million).
Thor rounded out the Top Five with an estimated US$9.4 million, down 39 percent for a US$159.7 million sum in 24 days. Fast Five slotted sixth with an estimated US$6.6 million and still leads 2011 with a US$196 million tally in 31 days.
Here are the Top 5 North American B-O studio estimates for May 27-29, 2011 weekend, in terms of rank, (previous week ranking), Movie name (studio), Weekend takings in USD, (Cumulative gross, USD) and week on chart, courtesy of Boxofficemojo. (US$1=RM3)
1. (-) The Hangover Part 2 (Warner Bros.) $86.5 million ($118.1 mil) 1
2. (-) Kung Fu Panda 2 (Paramount /DreamWorks) $48.0 million ($53.8 mil) 1
3. (1) Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (B. Vista) $39.3 million ($152.9 mil) 2
4. (2) Bridesmaids (Universal) $16.4 million ($85.0 mil) 3
5. (3) Thor (Paramount) $9.4 million ($159.7 mil) 4