'Rio' Stays Perched at US Easter B-O
APRIL 25, 2011 - Rio stayed perched atop the US box office over the Easter weekend, edging out another strong start for a Tyler Perry movie and a solid beginning for Water for Elephants.
The animated comedy drew an estimated US$26.8 million (57 percent of which from 3D), down 32 percent. It made less than How to Train Your Dragon's US$29 million on Easter weekend last year and grossed more than Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears a Who! on Easter weekend 2008, though its 10-day tally trailed both titles. With an US$81.3 million haul so far, Rio extended its lead over Rango and Hop through the same point, which each had around US$68 million.
Here are the Top 5 North American B-O studio estimates for April 22 - 24, 2011 weekend, in terms of rank, (previous week ranking), Movie name (studio), Weekend takings in USD, (Cumulative gross, USD) and week on chart, courtesy of Boxofficemojo. (US$1=RM3)
1. (1) Rio (Fox) $26.8 million ($81.2 million) 2
2. (N) Tyler Perry's Madea's Big Happy Family (LGF) $25.7 million ($25.7 million) 1
3. (N) Water for Elephants (Fox) $17.5 million ($17.5 million) 1
4. (3) Hop (Universal) $12.4 million ($100.5 million) 4
5. (2) Scream 4 (W/Dim) $7.1 million ($31.1 million) 2