'No Strings Attached' Tops US Weekend B-O
JAN 24, 2011 - The sole major new release, No Strings Attached, was on top with a decent showing, and it was business as usual for the holdovers. Overall weekend box office was down around 26 percent from the same period last year, when Avatar led again, and it could end up being the least-attended post-Martin Luther King, Jr. weekend since 1992 (when actual figures arrive).
The romantic comedy starring Ashton Kutcher and Natalie Portman collected an estimated US$20.3 million on approximately 3,500 screens at 3,018 locations. The Green Hornet saw a significant 46 percent drop from its top spot last week.
Here are the Top 5 North American B-O studio estimates for Jan 21-23, 2011 weekend, in terms of rank, Movie name (studio), Weekend takings in USD, (Cumulative gross, USD) and week on chart, courtesy of Boxofficemojo.
1. No Strings Attached (Paramount) $20.3 million ($20.3 million) 1
2. The Green Hornet (Sony) $18 million ($63.4 million) 2
3. The Dilemma (Universal) $9.7 million ($33.3 million) 2
4. The King's Speech (Weintraub) $9.1 million ($58.6 million) 9
5. True Grit (Paramount) $8.0 million ($138.6 million) 5