Megamind Beats Unstoppable at US Weekend B-O
NOV 15, 2010 - Unstoppable lost out to Megamind in the weekend North America Box-office stakes, while Skyline and Morning Glory had modest showings. Overall business was off 11 percent from the same weekend last year when 2012 arrived.
Megamind drew an estimated US$30.1 million on approximately 7,300 screens at 3,949 locations, 64 percent of its business coming from its 3D illusion presentations.
Skyline pulled in an estimated US$11.7 million on close to 3,100 screens at 2,880 locations, which was a fraction of most recent alien invasion/disaster spectacles, but the picture was far more low-rent than the genre norm.
Here are the Top 5 North American B-O studio estimates for Nov 12-14, 2010 weekend, in terms of rank, Movie name (studio), Weekend takings in USD, (Cumulative gross, USD) and week on chart, courtesy of Boxofficemojo.
1. Megamind (Paramount/DreamWorks) $30.1 million ($89.8 million) 2
2. Unstoppable (Fox) $23.5 million ($23.5 million) 1
3. Due Date (Warner Bros.) $15.5 million ($59.0 million) 2
4. Skyline (Universal) $11.7 million ($11.7 million) 1
5. Morning Glory (Paramount) $9.6 million ($12.2 million) 1