Iron Man 2 Fights Off Robin Hood at US B-O
MAY 18, 2010 - Iron Man 2 fought off the challenge of 'newcomer' Robin Hood at the North American Box-Office, collecting US$52 million compared to the English archer's US$36 million.
Ridley Scott's Robin Hood attempted a gritty origin story, instead of a swashbuckler in the vein of The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938). Another recent medieval movie, King Arthur, tried a new spin on a famous story, but was a bust, grossing only US$51.9 million in its entire run.
Two romances, Letters to Juliet and Just Wright, counter-programmed Iron Man 2 and Robin Hood to make the list at No 3 and 4 respectively.
Here is the Top 5 North American B-O actuals for May 14 - 16, 2010 weekend, in terms of rank, Movie name (studio), Weekend takings in USD, (Cumulative gross, USD) and week on chart, courtesy of Boxofficemojo.
1. Iron Man 2 (Paramount) $52.0 million ($211.2 mil) 2
2. Robin Hood (UIP) $36 million ($36 million) 1
3. Letters To Juliet (Summit) $13.5 million ($13.5 million) 1
4. Just Wright (Fox) $8.2 million ($8.2 million) 1
5. How To Train Your Dragon (Dreamworks) $5 million ($207.6 mil) 8.
(On a personal note, I have just arrived in Oklahoma, in the US, and will be blogging from here, Indiana and elsewhere for the next two months).