Final Destination Tops US Weekend B-O Again
SEPT 7, 2009 - The Final Destination shrugged off three newcomers last weekend to retain its top spot for the second weekend in a row. The sequel, bolstered by 3D showings, added an estimated US$12.4 million to its nearly $50 million take. Although it is supposed to be the final film in the series, New Line and Warner will have a hard time pulling the plug on the Destination films.
Mike Judge's All About Steve with Sandra Bullock, and Gamer with Gerard Butler, all felt the sting of the US Labor Day Weekend. All About Steve was the only new film to crack US$10 million, a far cry from Bullock's The Proposal in July.
Here is the rest of the Top 5 US B-O estimate grosses for Sept 4-6, 2009 weekend, in terms of rank, Movie name, Weekend takings in USD, (Cumulative gross, USD) and week on chart, courtesy of Boxofficemojo.
1. The Final Destination $12.4 million ($47.6 million) 2
2. All About Steve $11.2 million ($11.2 million) 1
3. Inglourious Basterds $10.8 million ($91.0 million) 3
4. Gamer $9.0 million ($9.0 million) 1
5. District 9 $7.0 million ($101.3 million) 4
(Studio estimated figures courtesy of Boxofficemojo.com).