Tarantino's Basterds Tops US Weekend B-O
AUG 24, 2009 - Quentin Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds topped the US box-office this weekend with an estimated US$37.6 million (RM131.6 million).
According to studio estimates published by Reuters, the film sold a total of US$65.1 million (RM227.9 million) worth of tickets in North America and 22 foreign territories, a promising start after the disappointment of Tarantino's previous effort, Death Proof, two years ago. In the US and Canada, the US$37.6 million tally surpassed his previous best opening of US$25.1 million for Kill Bill Vol. 2 in 2004. The majority of critics liked the movie, with many giving it four out of four stars.
Here is the rest of the Top 5 US B-O grosses for Aug 21-23, 2009 weekend, in terms of rank, Movie name, Weekend takings in USD, (Cumulative gross, USD) and week on chart, courtesy of Boxofficemojo.
1. Inglourious Basterds $37.6 million ($37.6 million) 1
2. District 9 $18.9 million ($73.5 million) 2
3. G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra $12.5 million ($120.5 million) 3
4. The Time Traveler's Wife $10.0 million ($37.4 million) 2
5. Julie & Julia $9.0 million ($59.3 million) 3